Are you curious about the most effective strategies to resolve workplace conflict? Get to the bottom of conflicts between employees using some HR best practices. Help keep your employees focused on the customers instead of a difference of opinion.
Some Reasons Behind Workplace Conflict
One of the keys to resolving conflict between employees is understanding what is driving the conflict to begin with. In many cases, these disputes stem from:
- Employees who don’t pull their weight on a shift
- Managers whose leadership style is too overbearing
- Workplace harassment
- Employees who make assumptions about the intentions of other co-workers
- Resentment due to feeling left out
- Supervisors who ignore dissent
Best Practices for Workplace Conflict Resolution
For small businesses owners like yourself, being familiar with these HR best practices will help you and your management team resolve workplace conflict.
- Encourage communication – Open communication de-escalate issues and empowers employees to work out problems on their own. The University of California Berkeley encourages managers to create an environment where employees can openly share their opinions. When your employees feel heard, they are more likely to share their opinions in a civil manner.
- Avoid taking sides – According to Forbes, it’s common for managers to pick sides in an employee dispute. Your role should be only to find a compromise and help your employees maintain a working relationship.
- Learn dispute resolution techniques – The American Management Association offers five steps to managing conflict, teaching supervisors to mediators.
Dangers of Ignoring Workplace Conflicts
The University of Florida’s Executive Education program teaches owners and other business leaders to step in as soon as possible to find a solution. Once issues between two employees begin to escalate, employee morale and your bottom line are at risk. The best time to step in is as soon as possible.
When conflict resolution is handled properly, it can help maintain relationships, save time and money, and improve productivity.