What is an online time clock app?
An online time clock, also known as a punch clock app or time tracker, is a modern, digital way for employees to clock in and out of their shifts. The time clock then connects with your online timesheet or time tracking software to calculate hours and create payroll reports and wages for each team member.
Can time clocks prevent buddy punching?
Yes, time clock apps like Homebase prevent buddy punching by assigning unique PIN codes to your employees (that no one else should be allowed to use) to clock themselves in.
Our time clock tool also alerts you when an employee is late signing into their shift and takes photos of the worker when they clock in, so you can rest assured the right individual is logging the time. And our time clock tool is free, by the way.
For your reference, buddy punching is when an employee asks their coworkers to clock them in for them before they’ve arrived to work. This is done to either avoid getting reprimanded for being late or losing wages, but it results in increased labor costs for employers (as much as hundreds of dollars every week). Basic time punch clocks are very vulnerable to buddy punching practices.
What is a digital time clock?
A digital time clock, or a self-calculating machine, is similar to a basic time clock, except the data is added up — you guessed it, digitally — to make it easier to run payroll. However, employees can still get away with buddy punching since it’s not a real-time clock app.
What is an online employee time clock?
An online employee time clock is a tool that helps businesses track their employees’ working hours electronically. Small business owners looking for time clock solutions for their hourly employees can use the Homebase app to easily track attendance and hours worked.
With Homebase, you can turn almost any device with an internet connection (like a browser, tablet, or phone) into a sophisticated employee time clock. No more expensive hardware or paper time cards. All you have to do is set up the software, track employees’ time with ease, and watch the data sync seamlessly into the cloud.
What is a biometric time clock?
A biometric time clock doesn’t use traditional pin codes or timecard apps and instead utilizes each employee’s unique measurements and body geometry to identify who exactly is clocking in. To learn more about if a biometric time clock is right for your business, check out our article that lays out the pros and cons.
What is a time punch clock?
A time punch clock is a device that allows employees to clock in and out of every shift they work. Business owners then track the total hours worked for each pay period.
Check out our article explaining time punch clocks to learn more.
What is a GPS mobile time clock?
How do you keep track of your employee hours?
You can start keeping track of your employees’ hours using Homebases’s free online time clock app. First, download the online time clock for employees and sign into the Homebase app with the owner or manager’s email address and password. Then team members can clock in and out with the time clock using their personalized pin.
Plus, if you ever have questions, you can contact our customer support team, and they’ll happily help you.
Why use the free employee time clock from Homebase?
Since Homebase offers a time clock free of charge that’s in the cloud, an employer can track employee data, including time and attendance, in real time. This means you can see the total hours worked by an employee from wherever you are on whatever device you’re using. It will even work offline should your internet go down — the Homebase app will track data at all times.
To learn more about time and attendance, check out this article on employee attendance tracking with Homebase.
What is the best free time clock app for a small business?
We may be biased, but we truly believe Homebase is one of the best time clock apps for small businesses out there. Here are just a few of the biggest reasons why:
- Designed specifically for hourly teams and small businesses: Track hours, breaks, overtime, and paid time off, stay on top of labor costs, and remain compliant with break and overtime laws.
- Secure, effective, and easy: Our time clock app is just as secure and accurate as a biometric solution but offers a much better employee experience. It’s also completely free and much easier than dealing with paper time cards or cumbersome spreadsheets.
- Payroll integrations: Payroll has never been easier than with our built-in payroll tool. And the Homebase time clock app also integrates with top payroll system providers like ADP, Gusto, and Quickbooks. We even offer a free time card calculator if you haven’t switched to an online time clock yet.
- Great for remote or offsite teams: If you need to track employee hours for remote teams that make house calls or work outside the business premises, staff members can clock in with our mobile time clock features.
- A wide range of features beyond time tracking: You can use Homebase for all your team management needs — we also offer top-of-the-line employee scheduling tools, hiring and onboarding features, and a team communication app.
How do I manage lunch breaks?
Homebase keeps track of employee meal and rest breaks required by law, and helps you stay on top of if they are paid, unpaid, missed, or waived. Learn more about Homebase break management by checking out our article explaining how it works.
How can you track PTO?
Business owners, managers, and HR personnel can easily track employee paid time off (PTO) with Homebase’s free online scheduling software. With this tool, employees can easily request time off, change their availability, and find out whether their vacation days have been approved or not. Employers also get more control over PTO requests with blackout dates, request limits, and advance notice.
Can time clocks prevent time theft?
A time clock app like Homebase prevents time theft by:
- Assigning unique PINs to each employee and alerting you if someone else is clocking in before their coworkers arrive.
- Taking a photograph of the person who’s logging time so you can ensure the correct employee is signing in.
- Letting you enable a GPS time clock that prevents your employees from clocking in before they arrive at the job site.