CA Paid Sick Leave Poster TemplateYou can place this poster in your store for employees, as required by the new CA paid sick leave law.
The poster details your employees' rights under the Healthy Workplaces / Healthy Families Act of 2014, which focuses on paid sick leave for hourly employees.
• An employee who, on or after July 1, 2015, works in California for 30 or more days within a year from the beginning of employment is entitled to paid sick leave.
• Paid sick leave accrues at the rate of one hour per every 30 hours worked, paid at the employee’s regular wage rate. Accrual shall begin on the first day of employment or July 1, 2015, whichever is later.
• Accrued paid sick leave shall carry over to the following year of employment and may be capped at 48 hours or 6 days. However, subject to specified conditions, if an employer has a paid sick leave, paid leave or paid time off policy (PTO) that provides no less than 24 hours or three days of paid leave or paid time off, no accrual or carry over is required if the full amount of leave is received at the beginning of each year in accordance with the policy.
• An employee may use accrued paid sick days beginning on the 90th day of employment.
• An employer shall provide paid sick days upon the oral or written request of an employee for themselves or a family member for the diagnosis, care or treatment of an existing health condition or preventive care, or specified purposes for an employee who is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
• An employer may limit the use of paid sick days to 24 hours or three days in each year of employment.
Retaliation or discrimination against an employee who requests paid sick days or uses paid sick days or both is prohibited. An employee can file a complaint with the Labor Commissioner against an employer who retaliates or discriminates against the employee.
For additional information, you may contact your employer or the local office of the Labor Commissioner. Locate the office by looking at the list of offices on their website. Staff is available in person and by telephone.