Scheduling employees takes a lot of time. Whether on a piece of paper or in an Excel spreadsheet scheduling template, forecasting how much labor you would need and who was actually available to work takes hours. With an online schedule maker, the scheduling process no longer has to be such a time consuming task.
Here are the top six ways an online schedule maker can save you time.
Build Your First Schedule Quickly
The first time you use an online schedule maker you will be amazed at how smooth employee scheduling can be. Instead of copy-pasting cells in Excel or erasing and rewriting names and shift times, you will drag and drop to create your schedule. This makes it easy for you to gain a holistic view of your schedule. It gives you the ability to view your schedule by role, time, or employee. The hours you’re assigning to employees calculate automatically so you can keep track of your labor costs.
Work on Your Schedule Anywhere
Being tied to your computer as a business owner or manager is problematic. You want to spend more time with customers and less time on your computer. With an online schedule maker you can create your schedule on your mobile phone or any browser to give you the flexibility and freedom you need. Especially if any last-minute schedule changes come up while you’re busy with customers.
Reduce Scheduling Errors
Schedule changes are inevitable and when your employees are in the know, that improves the likelihood that they’ll make it on time. Reducing schedule errors and no-shows is every manager’s dream. And online schedule makers like Homebase can help. When employees always have access to the most recent schedule, they can plan accordingly and get to work on time. Or even swap shifts if something comes up.
Take into Consideration Shift Swaps
Shift swaps used to require a combination of phone calls, texts, emails, and in person conversations that were difficult to keep track of. With the help of an online schedule maker, you’ll be notified when shift trade requests come up and be able to approve them from anywhere. First, you decide if the shift swap will work. Then Homebase checks and warns you if the change created any conflicts or put an employee into overtime. Otherwise, it automatically updates and sends notifications to employees via text, email, or within a mobile app via push notifications.
Copy Your Schedule to the Next Week in One Click
Scheduling is not a one and done task. The best online schedule makers are easy to copy over to the next week. If you have a consistent schedule week over week, save yourself even more time by putting your schedule on auto-pilot. You’ll always have the opportunity to make small changes when needed. But those schedule tweaks should take minutes, not hours.
Manage Your Labor Costs with an Online Schedule Maker
Knowing your labor costs is critical. That means tracking how many hours your employees are working and how often they’re working overtime. These metrics are crucial to staying on budget, when combined with your sales data. The most effective employee schedule maker like Homebase connects with your POS. That way, you can forecast sales against labor costs and keep all your expenses in line. You’ll be able to spend less time worrying about costs and more time thinking about growing your business.
Saving time where you can is the name of the game for businesses of any size. Whether you run a bakery with five employees or a landscape design firm with 15 employees in four different roles, making sure you’re always properly staffed is key to your business’s success.
Ready to try an online schedule maker? Homebase has a free employee scheduling tool that saves businesses hours each week. Sign up for free here to automate scheduling and time tracking with Homebase.
What is the Best Schedule Maker?
Scheduling employees is an essential step in running a business. It’s important to have the right scheduling software to serve as your sidekick and alleviate one area of stress in the hectic world of business management, and in this high-tech, connected world, the ol’ pen and paper routine just doesn’t cut it. You need a scheduling app.
Still, searching through the array of apps that seemingly do the same thing can take a long time, and the stress of deciding which one comes with features that work best for your business can be a bit counterproductive (isn’t that what you’re trying to minimize?).
We took the guesswork out of choosing an online schedule maker and compiled a list of five great options so you can decide for yourself which one would make the process easier for you. Of course, we included our free scheduling app on the list and firmly believe it’s the best on the list. But don’t take it from us. Let the features do the talking!
What types of schedule makers are there?
- College schedule maker: this is useful for students looking to plan out their class schedule, especially when a particular course is offered at a few different times during the semester or quarter.
- Work schedule maker: an app or tool for building employee schedules. For managers at a business, this is a critical part of running your business, because you need to be sure you have the right staffing levels for every role every hour your business is open. Overstaffing can lead to very high labor costs, while understaffing can lead to a poor customer experience. For employees, having a work schedule helps them plan their lives and know when they need to be at work.
- Personal schedule maker: a tool or app for keeping your personal schedule organized. Usually this includes appointments, reminders, and event invitations.
Building your work schedule is quick, easy, and painless when you use Homebase’s free scheduling app. Our comprehensive tool takes away the unnecessary headache that’s associated with scheduling and allows you to:
- Drag and drop team scheduling: View the team schedule by role, time period, or employee and watch hours calculate automatically.
- Schedule your team anytime, anywhere: Publish work changes no matter where you are and no matter what device you’re using with the scheduling app.
- Put your schedule on autopilot: Easily copy over last week’s shift schedule, or use automatic scheduling, which takes into account your team’s availabilities and roles.
- Reduce no-shows and errors: Your team will always have an up-to-date schedule, and can update their availability or request shift trades, and you’ll be notified for approval. Then, Homebase will update the schedule in minutes.
- Stay connected: You can send the schedule to your employees via the text tool, email, and the mobile app and confirm they’ve received it, track time-off and availability changes, and manage shift trades and covers without phone calls.
- Easily manage labor costs: Homebase will total hours and overtime, and even subtract break times, input your sales data to make sure you’re hitting budget targets, and forecast your sales automatically with a connected POS.
Speaking of POS, Homebase integrates with the top companies, including:
Connected Calendar Software
Online calendar software such as Google Calendar takes offline calendar software schedule building to the next level by putting it all on the cloud. This means that instead of having to print off the schedule, you can give employees permission to view the calendar and they can then view it from their mobile device.
Making changes to the schedule is easier this way because your team can alert you of any conflicts or proposed changes by making notes. Even further, you can give trusted employees permission to edit the document themselves so that shifts can be changed without you having to do it yourself.
You can also add events and attachments, as well as a world clock which is helpful if you have employees who work remotely in different locations of the world.
Still, cloud calendars were not necessarily designed to help with multiple employees, business scheduling or overlapping shifts.
Doodle’s simple scheduling app doesn’t offer many features, but it keeps track of when your employees are scheduled to work.
The app allows you to create a master document that is visible to you and the rest of your team, and changes are made in the master document so that when staff members view it, they always see the most up-to-date version.
The software is cloud-based, which makes it easy to distribute the schedule amongst your employees. All you have to do is text them the link and they can view it from their mobile device.
Doodle isn’t very intuitive and doesn’t alert you to sort of errors such as double-booking an employee or overlapping shifts, but if you have a small business with only a few employees, this is a better option than pen and paper or a regular spreadsheet.
Shifty’s simple scheduling app allows you to schedule multiple shifts with multiple employees with an intuitive drag-and-drop interface. You can also assign duties and tasks so your team has a to-do list to complete during their downtime.
The app’s features, interface and tools make scheduling more conducive for businesses with multiple employees than using an app such as Google Calendar, which wasn’t designed for building shifts.
However, distribution is still a sore spot for the app. The schedules must be emailed to each individual employee, and when changes are made different copies of the schedule are created, so you must confirm that everyone has received the same schedule and is up-to-date on every change.
The app also does not alert you when you’ve made scheduling errors such as double-booking an employee or scheduling a team member that has requested off.
Schedule Spreadsheet Templates
A schedule spreadsheet template — built in Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, or Apple Numbers — can be an appealing option for businesses looking to control costs or those who want to build a highly customized and unique schedule template.
Making a work schedule in a spreadsheet program can be a lot of work. In most cases, you’re building a shift schedule from scratch.
While a making a work schedule by hand in a template might at first seem the most flexible, schedule maker apps like Homebase are designed from the ground up to eliminate a lot of the tedious manual work. Schedule maker apps like Homebase also come with integrated time and attendance tools. So you’ll know — and can prevent — employees from clocking in early for their scheduled shift, or get an alert if someone is about to hit overtime.
Based on the different features each scheduling app provides, you should have a better idea of which one is the right fit for you. If you still need help deciding, we suggest Homebase– it’s free. It’s easy. And it’s seamless. Even better, dive in deeper with a free trial of our paid plans to discover the array of features waiting to make your business management that much easier.
Why should I use aover ?
- on data entry and your team every week.
- on by using a that’s integrated with your and exports to .
- Save money by avoiding unintentional overtime.
- Reduce human error. No more accidentally . an employee during their time off when you
- Improve team communication. With integrated in the , your employees will not only receive when you , they’ll also be able to trade shifts if something comes up (with manager approval).
What else does ado?
What about a ?
What should you look for in an ?